Requirements for Marriage in Florida

Hello! I hope you find these instructions helpful! You do not have to be a Florida resident to apply for a marriage license, however both the bride and groom or both partners do have to file together, and be over the age of 18. I do officiate ceremonies for both straight and same-sexed couples; as we are celebrating your Love and I look forward to speaking with you about creating a one-of-a-kind custom ceremony you will love!

You will both need the following information to file and obtain a marriage license:

If you are under age 16: You and your partner may apply for a marriage license if you are minors; you must swear under oath that you are the parent or expected parents of a child (a pregnancy must be verified by a written statement from your Doctor). If you are already parents, you must present your child’s Birth Certificate. If you were previously married, a minor may apply without parental consent.

Contact your Palm Beach or Broward County Clerk of Courts if you need more information. 

  • All ID presented must be current and valid. A state issued or federal government photo ID which bears the full legal name, birthday, and signature of the party which can include  – a passport, drivers license, military ID, State of Florida ID, or an Alien Registration card – are all acceptable.
  • Rev. Riana will want copies of all documents that you present for the city clerk to prove your identity, except your Social Security card; at time of your ceremony planning meeting (mail in advance if doing the Silver Ceremony). Please remember to pick up and bring your Marriage license to your ceremony, as your wedding is not legal until the all the paperwork is signed at the ceremony and mailed in there-after!
  • An original and current Social Security card for all U.S. citizens; non U.S. residents can show a driver’s license, passport, or Alien registration card if they do not have a Social Security number.
  • Birth certificates or green cards are not acceptable forms of valid ID.
  • For Broward County: a second form of ID is required from this list: a U.S. Military card, original Social Security card, a SSA Medicare card or future benefits earning statement from the SSA with party’s social security number on it, a pay check stub, or a W-2 form with the party’s full name and social security on it.
  • The standard marriage license fee is currently $93.50 (subject to change).
  • There is a 3-day waiting period unless the parties live out of state and present the valid forms of ID at the time of filing for the marriage license. This can also be waived if the parties present a Certificate of Completion of a Pre-Marital course at the time of filing for application. The license is valid 60 days from the issue date.
  • A blood test is not required in Florida.
  • Be prepared to have the exact date of a previous divorce, annulment, or death of your prior spouse. The final divorce decree, death certificate or annulment certificate is not required.
  • You must provide a business-sized, stamped and self-addressed envelope for the return of your certified copy of your license.
  • If you are age 16 or 17, you must abide by the above requirements, as well as present the following documents.
  • Your original birth certificate which shows your parents names.
  • A Consent of Parent form, which you can get when you apply. Both parents must be present at the time you file, and also prove their identity with valid forms, as above. However, if parents are divorced, and you are in the custody of one parent, that parent must present proof of custody, any only they have to sign for consent. If one parent is deceased, a certified copy of their death certificate must be presented.


  • Pre-Marital Course: Rev. Riana is a registered provider with the Clerk of Courts for both Palm Beach and Broward Counties where she officiates weddings. This private, 4-part Relationship Coaching and Counseling series is done at a convenient location in Palm Beach County area of Florida. Once the four required classes (if you are looking to marry within 3 days of getting a license) are completed, the couple will receive a Certificate to present to the Clerk of Courts, and their license fee is then lowered to $61.00 and the waiting period is waived. This course is not required to get married if you have time to plan your wedding, but is highly suggested to help the couple through the challenges that many marriages present.

There is a 90% higher success rate of your relationship sustaining through time with Pre-marital courses! Learn about the Pre-Marital course I offer on the Ceremonies page.

For New Jersey Couples

Hello NJ Friends! I oficiated weddings for 17 years in the southern NJ area – and many people are still requesting me to do their Ceremony. This is possible even though I live full-time now in Florida, but travel time and hotel must be arranged to Atlantic City. Contact me to discuss details.

As of my last inquiry, here are the details to get married in the state of New Jersey; please check with your local courthouse for any updates. Blood tests are no longer required; however, a wedding license is required. Apply for your license within 30 days of your wedding date. There is a 72 hour waiting period between the time the application is completed and the license is issued. The full details follow courtesy of The Atlantic City Bureau of Vital Statistics as printed in the brochure “Getting Married in New Jersey.” Original LGBTQ Civil Unions have now changed to marriage ceremonies in NJ.

Where should you apply for your marriage license in NJ?

If the bride is a resident of New Jersey, the marriage license must be obtained from the Registrar of Vital Statistics in the municipality where she lives.

If she is a non-resident of New Jersey and the groom is a resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality in which the groom resides. (For marriage license purposes, soldiers are residents of the posts at which they are stationed.) A license issued under either of the preceding circumstances is good for use anywhere in New Jersey.

If both bride and groom are non-residents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the marriage is to be performed and is only good for use in that municipality.

A license may never be used outside of New Jersey and a license issued in another state may never be used in New Jersey.

Be sure to contact the Registrar well in advance of the wedding to find out on what days and during what hours the Registrar will be in the office. The license fee at this time of writing (subject to change) is currently $28.00

When should you apply for a NJ marriage license?

A local Registrar will not issue a marriage license sooner than 72 hours after the application for the license has been made, unless ordered to do so via an appropriate court order.

If the ceremony is scheduled for a Saturday or Sunday, the application should be made no later than the preceding Tuesday. If the application is made on a Wednesday or Thursday, the 72 hours will end on Saturday or Sunday, but the Registrar will probably not be available on those days or on any public holiday.

If both the bride and groom are unavailable to complete the application at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application and start the waiting period. The other applicant must return with the same witness (who must be at least 18 years old) to complete his/her part of the application. The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued. Once the marriage license is issued, it is good for 30 days from the date of issuance.

A couple wishing to have a religious and legal ceremony may be issued a license (for example in case of a quick Military leave) on the basis of a single application. However, a couple wishing to have two religious ceremonies, and wanting to have a public record of each, may not have two licenses issued at the same time. They must apply for and use the first license. They must then return to the Registrar with the signed original certificate of marriage and a witness to apply for a remarriage license.

What should you bring with you when you apply in NJ?

A birth certificate is usually requested for proof of age and parentage. In Atlantic City (please check with your local town hall) social security cards are also needed. Also needed is a photo ID (license or passport) and proof of residence for each party that is current (ex – utility bill; a driver’s license is not accepted for this purpose).

If one or both of the applicants are divorced, you should bring a copy of the final decree or decrees for examination by the Registrar or a statement by the judge as to when the final decree was signed (not the date of the final hearing).

Rev. Riana will want copies of all documents that you present for the city clerk to prove your identity, except your Social Security card; at time of your ceremony planning meeting (mail in advance if doing the Silver Ceremony). Please remember to pick up and bring your license to your ceremony, as your wedding is not legal until the all the paperwork is signed at the ceremony and mailed in there-after!

Consent of both parents is necessary if an applicant is under 18 years of age. Both parental consents and judicial approval of such consents are necessary if the applicant is younger than 16. These consents should be on forms supplied by the Registrar. 

Where should the marriage record be filed?

In NJ, the person performing a marriage ceremony must file the license and marriage certificate with the Registrar of the municipality in which the marriage was performed. Since failure to record the marriage may cause considerable inconvenience at a later date when proof of marriage is needed, you should make sure that this has been done.

For additional questions:

Call the Registrar of Vital Statistics in your town, usually located within your town or city’s local town hall.

Locations for Ceremonies

Atlantic City has a number of scenic locations for wedding ceremonies. Beach ceremonies are also quite popular whether it’s a vow renewal or a ceremony with many guests. The individual casinos do not have drive through chapels as they do in Las Vegas. If you choose to have a beach ceremony and combine it with a stay at one of the casinos or area hotels, please note that there is a 72 hour waiting period to get a wedding license in the state of New Jersey (see above).

To renew your vows you would need to bring a certified copy of your marriage license. For vow renewals o9r Love Commitment Ceremonies, you don’t have to wait the 72 hours, and there is no formal paperwork to do with the courts.

For additional information on beach sites and what permits are required for a beach ceremony contact each town’s City Hall, Dept of Marriage and Civil Union Licenses.

For help in acquiring professionals for your ceremony, see the Referrals & References page on this web site, and Contact me on this website to discuss details for me coming to NJ to officiate your Ceremony. I look forward to hearing from you!

Many Blessings,

Rev. Riana